By M A Harder, R F Regtuit, G C Wakker
This quantity includes the papers of the 'Seventh Groningen Workshop on Hellenistic Poetry: past the Canon' (Groningen 2004). throughout the workshop a primary draft of every of the papers was once commented on by way of a world crew of experts within the box of Hellenistic poetry. a few earlier workshops used to be committed principally to the key Hellenistic poets. This contemporary workshop explores what the poets 'beyond the canon' of Callimachus, Theocritus and Apollonius Rhodius needed to provide and it mentioned questions of canonicity in Hellenistic poetry on a extra normal point. The papers within the current quantity care for a wide range of authors and genres: Herondas, Lycophron, Euphorion, Hermesianax, Cercidas, Crates of Thebes and Alexander Aetolus, and the didactic poetry of Aratus, Nicander and Ps.-Scymnus, the later bucolic poems of Moschus and Bion and the trend poems of Simias. while specific cognizance is given to the hexameter in inscribed Hellenistic epigram, that's in comparison to that of poets within the surroundings of the Museum of Alexandria. This quantity is a part of a sequence. each years a 'Workshop on Hellenistic Poetry' happens on the college of Groningen, the papers of that are released in 'Hellenistica Groningana'.
Read or Download Beyond the Canon (Hellenistica Groningana) PDF
Best medieval books
This e-book offers J? rgen Rischel's most vital paintings on language and sound constitution. It contains probably the most unique and groundbreaking study of 4 a long time. The chapters specialize in tension, syllabification, accessory, and vowel concord, and their interactions with different features of language.
Solon, the 1st poet of Athens, had a formative impact on later poetry, together with tragedy. utilizing an built-in literary, ancient and philological strategy, Maria Noussia Fantuzzi reports the poetry of Solon and provides a radical research of the multifaceted artwork of this poet, sage and political actor and his position within the historical past of literature.
Within the battle with Hannibal, Livy (59 BC advert 17) chronicles the occasions of the second one Punic battle among Rome and Carthage, until eventually the conflict of Zama in 202 BC. He vividly recreates the mammoth armies of Hannibal, whole with elephants, crossing the Alps; the panic as they approached the gates of Rome; and the decimation of the Roman military on the conflict of Lake Trasimene.
- Caesar's Civil War (Oxford Approaches to Classical Literature)
- In Synchrony With the Heavens: Studies in Astronomical Timekeeping and Instrumentation in Medieval Islamic Civilization (Studies I-Ix) (Islamic Philosophy, Theology, and Science) Volume 1
- Thucydides and Pindar: Historical Narrative and the World of Epinikian Poetry
Additional info for Beyond the Canon (Hellenistica Groningana)
21. Tres] he V; damoisele] besselete P; m'orcirrez N. 23. el N, cele V. 24. lui P. 28. que il firent V; paller V. 29. granment] longuement (+1) V. 32. lairele] la durele X. | 33. et NPVX. 34. vit N. 35. granz N; qu'il (-1) X. 36. servie V. 37. di PV, 38. m'ont tant P. 39. que honme (+1) V. 40. ce n'est mie droiz V. 42. cil qui amours pert (-1) V. | 44-54. stanza omitted in PV. 44. con (-1) X. 48. mult omitted N (-1). 49. ce] se X; ce cuiit N. 50. (+1) V. 6. biaus N; et et mult (+1) P. 7. il (-1) V; 1 quit X.
Pope § 1320 v. § 48; " Gossen § 8; " Moignet 62. ^ Pope § 967; Moignet 67. " Pope § 1326 xv; Moignet ^ Pope § 976; Moignet 70. " Menard § 67. ^* Moignet 90. 61-62. is transcribed from a single base RICHARD DE SEMILLI 20 manuscript. In a group of manuscripts as homogeneous as KNPVX most of the variants are orthographic or obvious scribal errors. There are, however, a few significant variants that determined the choice of the base manuscript. For most of the poems— songs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (RS 1583, 22, 1860, 1820, 538, 527, 614, 1362)— K served as the base manuscript because it is the most complete (it contains ten of Richard's poems and includes stanzas that are missing in other manuscripts) and because it has fewer errors and individual readings.
3. delez (+1) V. com 4. et et ses (+1) P. 5. ele ne mors ne vis V. 11. qui joenne N, jennes V. | 14. s'estoit] estoit N. 15. rose] rousee V. 16. ja ja a s'amie (+1) N; fet un c. (+1) V. 17. imt N. 20. vis P; ne me NV; verrez (-1) V. 21. Tres] he V; damoisele] besselete P; m'orcirrez N. 23. el N, cele V. 24. lui P. 28. que il firent V; paller V. 29. granment] longuement (+1) V. 32. lairele] la durele X. | 33. et NPVX. 34. vit N. 35. granz N; qu'il (-1) X. 36. servie V. 37. di PV, 38. m'ont tant P.
Beyond the Canon (Hellenistica Groningana) by M A Harder, R F Regtuit, G C Wakker